The HSOV [HUMANE SOCIETY OF THE OHIO VALLEY, 90 Mt Tom Road, Marietta Ohio] is currently accepting applications for the position of KENNEL TECHNICIAN. The job description is reprinted below.
Applicants may submit resumes during normal business hours (Monday-Friday 11am-5pm; Saturday 11am-4pm). Resumes may also be emailed to email@example.com
A.D.A. Position Description
Position Title: KENNEL TECHNICIAN
Reports To: Shelter Manager
Pay Rate: Federal Minimum Wage [with increments at the discretion of the HSOV]
Overall Function: Responsible for performing routine animal care and related duties at the Humane Society of the Ohio Valley including: cleaning and maintaining kennel areas, socializing with adoptable animals, assisting clientele interested in adoption, and providing leadership/guidance for volunteers with their duties and responsibilities.
- Perform duties including handling and receiving animals brought to the HSOV by Humane Officers, Dog Warden, citizens, or owner surrenders
- Perform kennel cleaning and other related housekeeping duties
- Maintain proper inventory level of food, cleaning, and other supplies. Notify Shelter Manager when replenishing items is necessary.
- Accurately document medical findings, vaccinations, and treatments in medical records of shelter animals.
- Medicate animals orally and/or topically.
- Assist Adoptions Clerk and HSOV clientele with adoption process
- Transfer animals as needed to veterinarian appointments
- Work cooperatively with HSOV volunteers and partners
- Assist with other shelter duties as needed
Equipment Utilized: The Kennel Technician shall utilize equipment to include but not limited to: company vehicles, miscellaneous cleaning equipment, and general medical equipment.
Work Environment: The duties of the Kennel Technician will primarily take place in a shelter environment and may required work outside in a variety of weather conditions. The employee will regularly be exposed to the following: hazards associated with infected animals and controlled substances; potentially zoonotic diseases (those which may be spread from animals to humans, including rabies etc), aggressive animals, loud noises (e.g., barking dogs), odors and airborne particles (including animal fur and toxic chemicals). The noise level of the shelter environment is very loud. Technicians must be able to lift up to 50 pounds. Examination, restraint, and treatment of a high number of animals is physically- and emotionally demanding.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Minimum 6 months’ previous experience working with animals (preferably in a veterinary or shelter setting)
- Must have a valid driver’s license with a clean driving record
- Must have a High School diploma or GED
- Must have the ability to thoroughly clean kennel areas following established protocols
- Must be dependable, reliable and efficient
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds and stand for prolonged periods of time
- Must have the ability to assist clientele with the adoption process
- Must have good written and oral communications skills
Position requires workers to move or stand for periods of time; lift and carry over 50 pounds; ability to safely restrain animals and lead animals; bend, reach, hold, grasp and turn objects; and requires the ability to communicate clearly.
This job description has been designed in accordance with the provision of the Americans with Disabilities Act. It is intended to serve as a description of the essential function(s) for which this position exists and the required qualifications. Individual tasks and procedures are not listed because they usually dictate the manner in which a function is performed rather than the purpose. This Job Description shall be subject to such review and modification as determined necessary by the HSOV. Requests for reasonable accommodation, from a qualified individual with a disability, will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
The Humane Society of the Ohio Valley complies with all applicable federal, state, and local laws and provides equal opportunities and conditions of employment for all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, or national origin.
The Humane Society of the Ohio Valley reserves the right to request background checks with written consent of applicants.