Humane Society of the Ohio Valley – A.D.A Position Description
Position Title: Shelter Operations Manager
Reports To: Executive Director
Directly Supervises: Humane Officer, Adoption Clerk, Kennel Technicians and Volunteers
Pay Rate: Wage designated by Board of Directors
The Operations Manager is responsible for the daily operation of HSOV, internal systems, policies & procedures and the HSOV staff. The Operations Manager provides leadership, oversight and long range planning to ensure that all areas of the shelter are functioning at the highest standard possible.
• Responsible for the hiring, supervising, coaching and training of shelter staff and volunteers, providing regular, on-going feedback and timely evaluations.
• Monitors safety compliance for staff and volunteers. Addresses employee
problems and grievances.
• Maintains shelter records and statistics that include but are not limited to: animal population, adoption, euthanasia, and spay/neuter.
• Oversees the medical care of all animals ensuring the most effective use of limited resources.
• Oversees the ordering and inventory of shelter supplies and equipment and assures that appropriate quantities of all supplies are on a hand at all times.
• Regularly researches new products, equipment and pricing.
• In partnership with the Executive Director, Board of Directors and local veterinarians, implements all policies and protocols to protect the health and well-being of the animals in our care.
• Leads staff discussions regarding placement decisions, behavior plans, and other animal-related concerns.
• Provides recommendations and final approval for decisions about euthanasia in collaboration with Executive Director and local veterinarians
• Conducts meetings with staff and volunteers to review procedures, discuss workplace issues and share ideas to improve animal care, the customer service experience and the organization in general.
• Meets with the Executive Director to develop long-range programs and regularly review policies and procedures.
• Oversees intakes and adoptions and ensures that the public receives accurate information and excellent customer service. When necessary assists staff with tense situations involving the public.
• Provides oversight and direction to Foster Care Program and Rescue Programs in collaboration with the Executive Director
• Responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of HSOV facility. Manages all capital improvement projects.
• Works with the Executive Director to prepare the annual budget and closely monitors income and expense throughout the year.
• Carries out other duties as assigned by the Executive Director
Knowledge and Skills: Practical experience and knowledge of managing an animal shelter, to include animal husbandry skills and knowledge. Must possess a strong desire to see to the welfare of animals within the care of the HSOV and the ability to make decisions regarding the humane treatment of those animals.
1. Must be 21 years of age or older
2. Minimum of 2 years previous experience working with animals preferably in a veterinary or shelter setting
3. High School diploma or GED
4. Good written and oral communication
5. Dependable, reliable and efficient
6. Knowledge of Ohio Revised Code as it pertains to the operations of the HSOV
7. Must be able to lift at least 50 pounds and stand for prolonged periods of time
8. Ability to assist guests with adoption process
9. Ability to thoroughly clean
Interested candidates may submit their resume to the Humane Society of the Ohio Valley, 90 Mt Tom Rd, Marietta Ohio 45750 Attn: Executive Director. Electronic submissions and questions regarding the position may be directed to Kelly Goedel, Executive Director via email at email@example.com